The ASK Campaign encourages us to ask our friends, our family, and other members of our community if they have a gun and how they store it. 75% of the guns used in school shootings and 82% of the guns used in teen firearm suicides come from the home. 8 children and teens are unintentionally shot a day. A loaded, unlocked gun in one home can impact an entire community.
How do I ASK?
- Figure out who to ask: Ask your relatives, your host parents, your roommate, the family you babysit for, the party host, your date, and anyone who's home your visiting. If you have a friend in crisis, you can also ask their family or their roommates about if they have access to a firearm.
- Start with other questions: Ask with questions like "Do you have any roommates?" and "Do you have any pets?"
- Then ask the three-part question: Do you have a gun? Is it secured? Is it stored separately from the ammunition?
- Share some stats: 75% of the guns used in school shootings and 82% of the guns used in teen firearm suicides come from the home. 8 children and teens are unintentionally shot a day.
- Acknowledge the awkward
- Don’t be confrontational
- Try asking through clubs at school